Liberian Plantain bread recipe, your go to breakfast snack. No matter your love for bread, sometimes enjoying the same bread variation every morning can be boring. I’m sure you may be thinking bread is the same. No, it isn’t.
I was there before and after I discovered this Liberian plantain bread recipe, have never thought of any other. And here is what makes it stand out!
Liberian plantain bread is not like any regular bread. It contains ingredients that will keep your body fueled for longer and have amazing health benefits.
This makes it your go-to snack any time of the day, especially when you feel down and worn out.
Ripe bananas help satiate your sweet tooth. Bananas and baking flour are excellent energy boosters.
The ginger twist helps boost your moods by increasing serotonin levels in the body. Better still, ginger is known for its clarity and memory-boosting properties.
Cloves help reduce stomach ulcers, regulate blood sugar, promote bone health, and improve liver function.
Nutmeg is a good body detoxifier and pain reliever. The spice also promotes healthy skin, reduces insomnia, increases blood circulation, and improves overall well-being.
On the other hand, Cinnamon helps soothe digestive discomfort, reduces blood pressure, lowers blood sugar, and promotes a healthy gut.
Another bread variation that I love most is the Mkatra Siniya from Comoros.
Now that you know what makes the Liberian plantain bread unique let’s hop into our recipe.
3 cups of self-raising baking flour
1 cup of milk
1 ½ cups of overripe bananas
½ cup of sugar
½ cup of butter
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla essence
- Clean and peel your bananas. Cut them into 1” pieces and put them on a blender. Blend them into a thick puree and set aside.
- Sift your flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour them in an electric mixer.
- Add your milk and the remaining ingredients along with your banana puree and mix evenly.
- Grease your baking pan and transfer the dough.
- Preheat your oven to 3500 F and bake for one hour or until golden brown.
- Leave it for ten minutes, and top it up with some whipping cream.
- Leave it to cool before slicing it. Enjoy it with a drink of your choice.
If you like this Liberian gingerbread recipe, you may also like the following: