Making a tasty meat pie at home can seem like a tall order. But the truth is, home-baked recipes give you the freedom to customize them by adding your preferred ingredients.
And just because you enjoy a hotel baked one doesn’t mean you can’t get the same results.
That’s why we have prepared a detailed meat pie recipe to get you started. It doesn’t matter whether you are making a meat pie for yourself, family, or party.
A Must Read: Be A Covid-19 Survival Chef With This African Food
This recipe is all you need. Now let’s get started.
Meat Pie Ingredients
2 cups of all-purpose baking flour (sifted)
¼ cup of butter
5tbsp cold water
2 ½ cups of minced meat
1 cup of peas and chopped carrots
2 cups of beef stock
¾ cup of chopped onions
1tsp dried thyme
1tsp minced garlic
½ cup of all-purpose baking flour (sifted)
1 ½ cups of chopped sweet potatoes
A Must Read: Caldeirada de Cabrito Recipe| Angolan Cuisine
Preparing Dough for Crust
- Sift your baking flour in a large bowl. Put your salt and mix.
- Cut the butter into the flour with the help of a food processor. Take a minute or pulse for the butter to be chopped to the desired size.
- Add water, a tablespoon at a time, to allow the dough to form loosely. Be gentle and avoid overworking the dough for an easy to handle crust.
- Split the dough into two equal portions and roll into a ball. In case you are not ready to prepare your pie right away, it is advisable to store the dough in a refrigerator.
- Lightly flour your rolling surface and dust your rolling pin. Spread the dough from the center to the edges to form a circle of about 10″.
Preparing the Filling
- Put your ground beef and onions in a large skillet and season with garlic and thyme. Cook the mixture under medium heat. Keep stirring for the spices to be well incorporated, and the meat attains a brownish color.
- With the help of a spatula, push your meat on one side of the pan and slightly tilt it to separate the meat from the grease. Carefully pour the oil into a container and dispose of.
- Peel your sweet potatoes and slice them into 1″ chunks. Wash them and add to the skillet along with the peas and chopped carrots.
- Pour your beef broth to keep the mixture moist. Cook the mixture for about 15 minutes, then set it aside.
Making the Meat Pie for Baking
- Preheat your oven to 176 degrees Celsius.
- Unroll your crust from your rolling pin and place it on your pie dish without stretching it.
- Create a thicker crust on the rim by trimming ½” outside the edge of your pie plate and fold it.
- Gently pour your filling in the pie leveling it up without overfilling the dish.
- Roll out another pastry, place it over the pie and pinch the edges together to create knuckle like edges. Using a sharp knife, trim any excess dough.
- Cut some vent-holes on top of the crust to allow steam to escape during cooking. Brush the top with butter or egg to prevent it from cracking.
- Put your pie on the oven rack and bake it for about 50 minutes or until the crust is evenly browned.
- Remove your pie and leave it to cool down before serving.
If you like this meat pie recipe, you may also like the following: