Eating meat every day can be at times boring. Even when it’s your favorite dish, at some point, you will get bored. Worst still, you may end up developing health complications due to high meat consumption or losing your appetite. Being creative around your kitchen and discovering new healthy recipes is a great way to unleash your cooking skills. For this roundup, I have compiled a list of mouthwatering vegetable recipes for a healthy dinner without breaking the bank.
1. African Vegetable Stew
There is no better way to keeping your family entertained, like gracing the dining table with African vegetable stew. The delicacy touts of its vibrant and rich flavor that sets it apart from any regular vegetable stew. And the best part is, it’s highly nutritious to keep you nourished.
So when you tired of meat recipes, look no further than this African vegetable recipe.
1 cup of chopped onions
1lb canned green peas
1 cup lentils
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 bunch parsley
4 chopped tomatoes
1tbsp non-hydrogenated Margarine
1tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Cinnamon
- In a cooking pot, melt your butter, onion, turmeric, salt, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, carrots, and black pepper. Stir gently until the onion is brown and tender. Add your tomatoes and stir for 3 minutes
- Add water three glasses and lentils and simmer for 20 minutes
- Wash and clean your green peas and add them to the cooking pot. Stir for three minutes
- Simmer for another three minutes then serve with rice
A must read:
2. West African Vegetable Stew
Blending savory and sweet ingredients is what most people tend to avoid when preparing any dish. But with this West African vegetable stew, you will get an incredible taste that gives a mouthwatering experience.
- 1 kg peeled sweet potatoes (cut into ¼” pieces)
- 15oz chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch of Spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1 tsp red pepper (crushed)
- 3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Cooking oil
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes (chopped)
- Sauté onions and garlic until tender
- Add salt and tomatoes and cook them for three minutes
- Add the sweet potatoes and keep stirring the mixture for 4 minutes. Add pepper, cinnamon, and a cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add your chickpeas and Spinach and simmer for 7 minutes
- Serve while hot with rice
3. North African Vegetable Stew
This North African vegetable stew is another great treat. The blend of spices gives the dish a ridiculous tasty flavor that satiates your taste buds.
1 cup frozen peas
1 pound potatoes (peeled and chopped into sizeable pieces)
1 bunch of cilantro (chopped)
4tbs olive oil
1 can of diced tomatoes (un-drained)
1/2tsp black pepper
3 tbsp lemon juice
5 fresh carrots
1 &1/2 cup vegetable broth
1tbsp ground cumin
1 cup of turnips (peeled)
- In a skillet, put your cooking oil and heat it for one minute. Add turmeric, paprika, and cumin. Stir gently for 2 minutes
- Add cilantro, salt, garlic, turnips, carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes. Stir for four minutes then add broth and cook for 25 minutes
- Add peas, pepper, and lemon juice. Simmer for about 5 minutes then serve hot with rice
- Garnish with cilantro strips
4. Tanzania Cauliflower (Bilingani la Kukaanga)
When you tired from a busy day and are looking for something super quick to prepare, the Tanzania cauliflower recipe is the way to go. The delicacy boasts of its satisfying taste that gives your taste buds a soothing taste.
What you need
2 cauliflowers (chopped)
¼ glass cooking oil
4 fresh sliced tomatoes
1tsp curry powder
1/4 cup water
- Sauté onions in a frying pan
- Add all the ingredients apart from water
- Fry for 4 minutes under low heat
- Add water and cook until all the water has evaporated. Keep an eye to avoid overcooking or sticking
- Serve with rice
5. Cameroon Greens Recipe
When you are looking forward to entertaining your guests and loved ones, this Cameroon green recipe is the go-to dish for Vegan and meat lovers. Though simple and easy to prepare, it can be paired with lots of accompaniments giving you the freedom to get more creative when presenting your food.
When perfectly prepared, the dish has a savory taste.
2 bunch of fresh chopped greens (collard greens, Spinach, mustard greens, kale or Swiss chard)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 onion (chopped)
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup vegetable broth
- Sauté garlic and onions in a cooking pot
- Add salt, your tomatoes, and cayenne. Stir for two minutes then add your greens
- Stir for one minute and add your vegetable broth. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Serve hot with ugali, rice, or flatbread
If you like these vegetable recipes, you may also like:
The perspectives of our community matter in media! It’s about our voice, and taking control of our narratives. Please join and support us!
Visit AfroGist Media channels often for news updates. Access other thoughts and analyses here, reach out to post your commentaries, and feature your platform. Watch shows, and participate in crucial conversations that concern us. Connect with the community.