Cocoa lemon cake is a tasty treat with a rich brown color. The cake is a great pick for breakfast or those winter days when paired with coffee or tea.
Though the cake may look simple, it is a nutritional powerhouse, and adding it to your diet will offer you amazing health benefits. Just check out some of the benefits you will enjoy.
Health Benefits of Cocoa Lemon Cake
- Cocoa is rich in polyphenols which help improve brain function
- Improves moods and reduces stress levels
- High levels of flavonoids in Cocoa help reduce the chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
- When blended with lemon, cocoa can be a great weight loss aid. The combination helps increase fat oxidation making it easy to burn some calories.
- Asthmatic people can benefit from the high Theophylline and Theobromine, which helps reduce lung obstruction and persistent coughing.
- Cocoa is great for maintaining good dental health due to its anti-bacterial and immune-stimulating properties.
- Has cancer-protective properties
- May reduce stroke and heart attack
Now that you know the benefits of cocoa lemon cake let’s learn how to prepare it. Here is what you need.
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
¼ cup lemon juice
3 eggs (at room temperature)
1 lemon zest
½ cup butter
¾ cup granulated sugar
5 ml salt
- In a large bowl, sift your baking flour twice to aerate it. Pour the flour into an electric mixer.
- Add salt, cinnamon, lemon zest, and cocoa powder and mix the dry ingredients at low speed.
- In a separate bowl, cream in sugar and melted butter to get a thick consistent mixture. Pour the mixture into the mixer.
- Pour lemon juice, and continue mixing, but this time at medium speed.
- Beat the eggs one at a time while mixing at each stage until you get a consistent batter.
- Preheat the oven up to 1800 C.
- Grease a 9.5 by 3.25-inch Bundt pan and dust cocoa powder. Pour the batter and bake for half an hour or until evenly baked.
- Unmold the cake and place it in a cooling rack. Let it cool before serving.
- Enjoy your cake with a fruit juice or tea. Store in an airtight container for 3 days and 1 month in a freezer.
Cocoa lemon cake is a treat for any occassion. Try it today, and share your experience with us.