If you are a fan of rice, you may at some point wanted to prepare it in different variations. And today, we feature Cabidela rice. So before we take you through the recipes, first get to know the dish better.
What is Cabidela rice?
Cabidela is a Portuguese delicacy which is usually prepared with rabbit or poultry meat. What separates Cabidela rice from any ordinary rice variation is that it is cooked with blood from the poultry or rabbit meat. Yup, you read that-blood. However, blood can be substituted with chicken broth. Vinegar and water are added to give its distinct taste. Needless to say that if you don’t use blood in your recipe, you alter the fun!
Other seasonings like garlic, onions, curry powder, bay leaves, and cinnamon can be added to enhance the flavor.
And below is a guide and all you need to prepare your rice the Portuguese style.
What you need
- One whole chicken or rabbit
- One onion (large)
- Balsamic vinegar 2tbsp
- 400g white rice (long grain)
- Red wine 500ml
- Prosciutto and Chorizo pieces
- Olive oil
- Four cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. Black pepper
- Three bay leaves
- Parsley 1 bunch
- Slaughter your chicken or rabbit and collect blood in a bowl. Add red wine vinegar to prevent the blood from coagulating. In case you can’t get a fresh chicken, you can buy one in your nearest supermarket or butchery and make sure you request for blood.
- Reduce your rabbit or chicken into small pieces. Season it with (black pepper, salt, parsley, bay leaves).
- In a large saucepan, braise your onions and garlic in olive oil
- Add your smoked meat(prosciutto and chorizo pieces) and stir until golden brown
- Add balsamic vinegar and black beer
- Add your chicken or rabbit pieces and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Wash your rice properly, and add it to the pan. If the meat doesn’t have enough stock, you can add hot water.
- Simmer it and cook it for about 10 minutes then add your blood
- Stir to incorporate it well and simmer it for about 3 to 5 minutes
- Remove your saucepan from the source of heat and serve your rice while hot
The perspectives of our community matter in media! It’s about our voice, and taking control of our narratives. Please join and support us!
Visit AfroGist Media channels often for news updates. Access other thoughts and analyses here, reach out to post your commentaries, and feature your platform. Watch shows, and participate in crucial conversations that concern us. Connect with the community.