Do you have a dry and flaky scalp? Have you tried everything possible to manage the situation but failed? You are not alone in this. Most black American hair stylist I know tells me women of color are prone to this. The reason for this is that their hair has less moisture compared to other race, making it more susceptible to issues like breaking. And talking about the genetic aspect, some African-American women are prone to dry scalp conditions. So, in this post, you will get tips on how to manage scalp issues and natural products that work wonders for a dry and itchy scalp.
WHY YOU CAN TRUST US
Our goal at USAIG is to help the community of black Americans and Africans in the Diaspora identify the best possible ways to resolve issues. We African-Americans are special people and need unique products (all natural). That is the mindset we work with at USAIG. We rely on comments from Pro hair stylists, real buyers and our own experience with the products or services. We also promise to always provide the community with information about best natural products, home remedies and other services that are beneficial.
Factors That Causes Itchy and Dry Scalp
Many factors cause excessive scalp dryness. It isn’t just genetic or hereditary as we are made to believe. They include;
- Excessive hair brushing
- Using shampoos with harsh chemicals
- Treating your hair with dyeing products regularly
- Hair exposed to freezing weather for an extended period.
The Challenges That Come With Itchy Scalp
Many dangers accompany a dry scalp. In general, it can be discomforting and very irritating. For us, African Americans with black hair, having a flaky scalp can cause embarrassment. And even though you try hard to hide it, people will still notice you have it. An itchy and dry scalp is quite dangerous. You will always get tempted to scratch when it starts itching and cracks the skin open. Dirt, bacterial or sweat can creep into your exposed skin and magnify the problem for you.
Tips on How To Tackle Your Dry Scalp Issue
Do you have dry and itchy scalp? Check out these simple tips and advice from professional hair stylists.
- Resist any temptation to scratch your itchy scalp. This can make the condition worse.
- Start using a deep conditioning shampoo and conditioner. Avoid chemically formulated shampoos that can reap your hair of its natural oils and protein. Check out these must-have natural hair shampoos and conditioners for African American women. These are milder and great for healthy hair.
- Do not wash your hair with hot water. Always use cool water.
- Do not ever try chemical treatments on a dry scalp. Wait until the dryness or scalp issue ends.
- Do not comb your hair regularly. Wait till it becomes healthy again.
- Do not dye your hair even with natural products.
Dry and Itchy Scalp: Natural African American Hair Products
Our black hair is unique and needs special treatment. Using the right natural product will help solve itchy and dry scalp issues in no time. Check out natural products to tackle these issues.
“Ooh!” – Itchy and Dry Scalp Treatment
Itching scalp can be very embarrassing and might give people around a wrong impression about your hygiene. If you are experiencing such, then get the best natural products for scalp treatment to put an end to the discomfort. “Ooh!” combines natural ingredients to provide relief to an itchy scalp. It has reportedly worked on seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. If you have suffered setbacks with other products meant to tackle dry and itchy scalp, then, use this product and get the “Ooh!” feeling.
Whether you have a very sensitive scalp or not, “Ooh!” is suitable for everyone. Apply regularly or 2-3 times a week to maintain your scalp health in between shampoos. Ladies, you can also get this product for your men. It is great for men that wear their heads bald and clean-shaven. And whether they have scalp issues or not, it will make their scalp conditioned and toned after their routine morning shave.
Reasons All Our Editors Picked “Ooh!” – First Choice
- Easy to apply
- All natural ingredients
- Great for men and women
- Heals both scalp and hair – quick relief
- Suitable for everyone irrespective of hair type
The Natural ingredients in “Ooh!” that work wonders
- Aloe vera
- Coconut oil
- Vitamin E
- Jojoba oil
How to Apply “Ooh!” to your scalp effectively
Before you use this product, check the label for direction. The instruction is to use regularly or twice daily. But considering the intensity of the condition and the fact that you are just starting out, use gradually. To apply this product effectively, follow these tips.
- Put a small portion of the oil on your palm and use it to gently massage your scalp. Massage for at least 2 – 3 minutes or until you are satisfied it has appropriately spread.
- You can use daily or when the need arises. But understand that this product won’t make your hair to feel greasy. So there is no point trying to rinse it away.
Note: Even if you apply a small amount on your hair, the product will still work. So there is no point exhausting everything on your scalp one day.
Check Price and Comments About “Ooh!”
Other Natural Remedies for dry Scalp You Can Use
There are home remedies you can quickly use to manage your dry scalp. They contain natural products and are not harsh. In fact, you can prepare these products at home or purchase them commercially online.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another product that works wonders when applied to the dry scalp. It will help to balance your scalp’s PH levels and keep it completely clean, and healthy. That is possible because of its antiseptic and antifungal properties. You can use ACV once per week to rinse your scalp. It will help to wade off flaking which is a peculiar symptom of dry scalp.
Why We Picked This Product
- Makes hair easier to comb
- Improves scalp health
- Reduces bacterial growth in the scalp
- Help neutralizes alkali buildup left by hair shampoos and conditioners
Check Price and Comments About ACV
Coconut oil is also an incredible natural product you can use to treat dry scalp in many ways, even as a hydrating mask. Thanks to its antibacterial properties, coconut oil can also help to prevent hair follicle infection known as folliculitis. Apply coconut oil effectively to tackle sebum and product buildup in your scalp. It will also help to boost circulation and get rid of dead skin cells.
How To Apply Coconut Oil To Dry Scalp
- Melt a small portion of the oil and massage into your scalp and hair gently. Massage for about 1-2 minutes till everything sinks into your scalp and hair follicles.
- Allow the oil to remain for few minutes or hours. It can also stay overnight, but rinse your hair and scalp in the morning.
- You can make coconut oil at home or buy commercially. Both are 100% natural.
Check Price and Comments
Wrapping It Up
Do you want to improve your scalp health and grow healthy black hair? Then start using the right product. You also need to change your diet. The kind of food you take in matters a lot. However, you can tackle your itchy and dry scalp issues with the products above. And please feel free to leave comments after trying them out to encourage others. We would love to know how you enjoyed using these products and the tricks you applied to get the best out of them. Thanks for reading!
Thanks for sharing this helpful post! Natural Herbal Treatment for Lichen Planus provides some relief from skin rash and itchy scalp.