Chicken Breyani is a flavorful dish which is spiced right to bring out an irresistible taste. The delicacy is popular in South Africa but has its roots from India and mainly consists of chicken, rice and lentils. The aroma that emanates from the kitchen during cooking is so intense to make your loved ones drool. When it’s ready, the dish is a colorful, vibrant and flavorful meal. Though it is a dish mostly eaten at dinner, you can enjoy it any time any season. Below is what you need to prepare yours. Take a look!
Dish: Main Course
Serves: 4-6 serves
- Chicken breast eight pieces
- 250ml yoghurt
- 500g basmati rice
- Two peeled and diced tomatoes
- Baked brown lentils 250ml (drained and washed)
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. masala
- Cinnamon 1 stick
- One large onion (peeled and chopped)
- Cooking oil
- Two garlic cloves (crushed)
- Ground coriander
- Black pepper
- 3 Chopped tomatoes
- Two boiled eggs (quartered)
- Dried apricots (chopped)
- Chopped coriander
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl or basin, mix your cinnamon, turmeric, masala, pepper, ground coriander and yoghurt. Pour the mixture over the chicken pieces. Cover it with a cling film, and marinate it for 2 hours in the refrigerator
- Heat oil in a pan and add your onions and garlic and cook then until brown
- Add your chicken and keep turning until it to brown. Add your tomatoes and keep stirring for about 3 minutes
- Add five glasses of water and bring the chicken to boil. Simmer it and cook for 15 minutes over medium heat. Taste your spices and salt to make sure they are well balanced.
- As your chicken cooks, wash your rice and soak it for about 4 minutes
- Add your rice and cook for 15 minutes
- Add your lentils and stir the mixture until all the ingredients are well incorporated
- Serve while hot and dress it with boiled eggs, coriander, chopped tomatoes and chopped apricots
The perspectives of our community matter in media! It’s about our voice, and taking control of our narratives. Please join and support us!
Visit AfroGist Media channels often for news updates. Access other thoughts and analyses here, reach out to post your commentaries, and feature your platform. Watch shows, and participate in crucial conversations that concern us. Connect with the community.