If your appetite for food has suppressed, then taking Jamaican fish tea will help. From the name, you will be forgiven if you think that its tea. Fish tea is a soup made from fish and other ingredients. The ‘tea’ in this name reflects the broth used in the soup. It is thin and does not contain a lot of ingredients like regular soup. Though it is usually taken during summertime, you can enjoy it any time of the year. And the best part is, fish tea can spice up your morning and increase your productivity. And before we teach you how to prepare yours at home, here is a quick look at the benefits of fish tea.
Benefits of Taking Fish Tea
- Fish tea is loaded with proteins and nutrients to boost your energy and immune system
- Helps boost your appetite
- May reduce chances of strokes and heart attacks
- Increases brain health and activity
Fish tea is delicious, and those who may have a taste of it will testify to this. You can’t just get enough of this mouthwatering relish. Now that you know the benefits of adding this amazing tea to your diet, let’s have a look at how to prepare it.
Servings: 4 people
- 4 cups of water
- Half a tablespoon of salt
- ½ pound of chopped pumpkin
- 1 pound of fish (you can decide on the type of fish to use depending on your preference)
- One large onion that is already chopped
- Four small potatoes that have been chopped
- 1 green pepper (sweet). This can be optional
- 1 red pepper (sweet)
- Two scallions (chopped)
- 1 habanero pepper
- 1 thyme sprig
- ½ teaspoon of rosemary
- 1 garlic clove already chopped
- Spices (this can be cumin, oregano or basil depending on what you love. This is also optional)
- Apple cider vinegar 300ml
- Lemon juice 300ml
- ½ (15-oz. can) of coconut milk
- Two carrots (chopped)
- Add the 4 cups of water and salt in a relatively large stockpot and bring it to boil.
- Add the pumpkin and boil for about 10 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add the onions, potatoes, garlic, carrot, peppers, and scallions.
- Add the spices that you picked. This should be those that you prefer using to add taste to your food. Boil for about 10 minutes until all the vegetable is soft.
- As the mixture boils, wash the fish using the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Run your knife against the fish grains to remove any scales
- Once the mixture has boiled, and the vegetable is soft, add the fish and coconut milk and stir well.
- Cook the mixture for 10 minutes and add thyme and rosemary. You can also taste for salt and other spices to achieve the best taste for you.
- Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Serve while hot
Note: The best fish to use when preparing this soup is fillets. This is because it takes a shorter time duration to form the required soup than the whole fish.
There you have it; a delicious Jamaican fish tea rich in flavor and nutrients. Try it today and let us know your experience.