Ful Medames aka Ful Medammis is a traditional Egyptian dish which is rich in proteins. The meal dates back in the ancient times of Pharaoh. Traditionally, the meal is prepared slowly on a large caldron or copper pot. For active people, Ful Medames is an excellent way to start the day. The delicacy is great when served along with flatbread and salad. Though it is commonly prepared for breakfast, you can take this delicacy any time of the day. And today, we bring you this fresh recipe with instruction on how to prepare it in your home. Grab your seat and keep reading.
What you need
- 3 cups (1.5lb) of Egyptian fava beans( ful medames, broad beans or horse beans)
- 1 ½ cup of red lentils
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- Extra virgin olive oil or Canola oil
- Four quartered lemon( squeeze to make lemon juice)
- 6-7 cloves of garlic crushed
- Put water in a large bowl and soak your lentils and beans overnight
- Drain all the water and rinse them in running water until clean
- Heat water in a large cook pot or saucepan
- Add your bean and lentils in the boiling water and bring them to boil
- Cream off any scum or froth
- Simmer and reduce the heat to allow your beans to cook under low heat for about 5 hours until tender
- Add your seasoning( garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, cooking oil and coriander)
- Stir to incorporate the seasoning
- Serve while still hot with salad and flatbread. Ful Medames is great when served with yoghurt.
- Tahini sauce or fresh salad
- Garlic flavored tomato sauce
- Sliced hard-boiled eggs
- Cucumber slices or fresh sliced tomatoes
The perspectives of our community matter in media! It’s about our voice, and taking control of our narratives. Please join and support us!
Visit AfroGist Media channels often for news updates. Access other thoughts and analyses here, reach out to post your commentaries, and feature your platform. Watch shows, and participate in crucial conversations that concern us. Connect with the community.