Of the many great things that our continent is known for, proverbs are definitely at the top of the list. African proverbs and quotes are iconic for many reasons, one of which being that they are timeless and applicable to many experiences that we will encounter throughout life. If you ever need a dose of wisdom in your life, check out these ten proverbs from countries all over the continent, as well as quotes from quintessential African leaders.
1. A kì í wo ago aláago ṣiṣẹ́ /
Never carry out your duties using someone else’s time piece
2. Oro sunnukun, oju sunnukun lafinwo / Deep thoughts require deep analysis.
3. Obi nnim obrempon ahyease / Nobody knows the beginning of a great man
4. To get lost is to learn the way
5. Traveling is Learning
6. When you educate a man, you educate an individual. When you educate a woman, you educate a generation.
7. A roaring lion kills no game
8. Gidi gidi by ugwu eze / Unity is strength
9. “I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me.”- Kwame Nkrumah
10. “Do your little bit of good where you are; it’s those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world.”- Desmond Tutu